Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Zimmer Hip Plaintiffs Seek Damages, Settlements for Side Effects


A Texas resident has joined the ongoing litigation against Zimmer Orthopedics after a number of patients of certain hip devices discovered significant complications associated with the products. Jeffrey Johnson has filed a lawsuit with the help of a Zimmer hip lawyer, introducing his case to litigation on January 9, 2012 in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
Johnson underwent initial hip replacement surgery in 2008. The device which was implanted was the Zimmer Trilogy Acetabular Hip System, including a Zimmer Trilogy Shell and Liner. 

Zimmer Hip Settlements Through Litigation 
According to the complaint filed by his Zimmer lawyer, both Johnson and the surgeon who implanted the device believed that the Zimmer hip system was safe for total hip replacements as well as effective. Johnson led an active lifestyle at the time of his surgery; the then 42-year-old enjoyed hunting, fishing, motorcycle riding, and playing with his children. Johnson believed that his hip replacement surgery would allow him to return to this type of lifestyle, and had faith that the Zimmer device would fix problems with his hip and allow him to continue to enjoy time with his family and other physical activities. 
Unfortunately, he began having problems associated with the artificial hip within 15 months of the initial hip replacement surgery. It became dislocated the year after he received it, which allegedly caused pain and trauma for the plaintiff and required medical intervention in order to place the hip back in its proper location. Johnson's hip allegedly dislocated five more times over the next two years.
Zimmer Hip Revision Surgery Key in Lawsuits 
Johnson, like many others who have filed Zimmer hip lawsuits, had to undergo Zimmer hip revision surgery in 2010 in order to remove the Zimmer hip replacement system. Johnson's surgeon, according to the complaint, then saw that the Zimmer Trilogy Liner had fractured, a complaint that a number of other Zimmer plaintiffs have already lodged against the orthopedics manufacturing giant. 
Johnson is filing a Zimmer lawsuit in order to win damages that could help cover a number of costs associated with a Zimmer hip injury or Zimmer hip failure including loss of wages, pain and suffering, and past and future medical bills. 

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a 48 year old man that has had left hip in 2008 and right hip 2009 replaced with the Zimmer Trilogy. These have totally destroyed my mobility leaving me in constant pain. Prior to these replacements I was working in my own front yard, cleaning my own house and maintaing a very good job in realestate. Now I can't even take out my own trash. These replacements should be taken off the market before there are any other victims of the trilogy. NO ONE SHOULD LIVE IN THIS KIND OF PAIN. I have had MRI's, x-rays and they can't find anything wrong. Now after studing all of these issues with this replacement it would make since that you can't see inside the metal on MRI's and x-rays leaving the faulty leading us to belive that everything is O_K. and not a problem. Well they are a problem and it has caused me to give up 80% of my daily activities and now my career. Prior to these replacements I had very little pain on my left hip and no pain on my right hip. After being diagnosed with AVN in 2008 the doctor told me the Zimmer Trilogy were a great option for hip replacments in a younger active person and that they would give me about 80% of my normal activities for the next 25 years. They sounded like a great option being a 44 year old man at that time. I did all the P.T. exersise recomended and yet they never healed and after a few months the pain seemed to get more frequent. If I only had one side done then we may be able to blame it on nerve damage etc.. However having both left and right done it is obvious these are bad designs and should be taken off the market. I hope that no one else ever has to be another victim of the Zimmer Trilogy as it will destroy your life as it has mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have had a Zimmer Triology, total hip replacement. My surgery was in July of 2009. I have also been back and forth to the doctor and was told there was nothing wrong, however, I experience severe pain on a daily basis. This has limited my mobility. I am on 2 different types of Morphine and have been on it since the replacement, this decreases my quality of life and adds additional discomfort from chronic constipation. I have been given steroid shots, that have not helped. I am in pain on a daily basis, in addition, since my left hip has been replaced, I started experiencing problems with my left knee (pain and popping). My right hip also started to cause pain soon after the initial surgery. I have been offered no solution to my problem and also agree that this product should be taken off the market. I've spoken to a couple of Law Firms and was told that the Trilogy is not on there list, it should be added. I would not recommend that anyone has a hip replacement that uses the Trilogy model. No one has been able to help me and as of today 1/30/2014 I am still on pain killers and still experience severe pain.

      Delete
  3. I have been seaeching for others who have had problems with the zimmer trilogy hip prosthesis. I am happy yet sad to find others having an issue. Happy-because I have been suffering in constant pain with no answers for almost 4 years and am losing hope, sad- because I wouldn't wish the pain I live in everyday on anybody! I'm 27 years old now and my life has been turned upside down. I started to believe that what I was going through was normal, sadly I was just fooling myself! I have had little to no help from doctors, all they do is take x-rays, say everything is perfect, they cannot help me and give me more names to doctors who do the same thing and it turns out to be a wild goose chase with a lot of bills for x-rays. I recently had a bone scan and the doctor who ordered it says everything is perfect. We started asking about other tests. .nerve damage..muscle..mri...anything! He said there was no need for further testing because there is no nerve damage, which is a lie because you cannot, to my understanding and research, tell if there is nerve damage through a bone scan. Please, if there are others, or advice, on what to do, I have started to believe I will have to live my life in this pain. I feel as if I am at a dead end and am looking for answers but this has given me some possible hope, although, I have tried not to hope over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a 47 year old man who has had the same issues as you. No one has been able to help me either. It has been almost 5 years since my hip replacement and I still have severe pain and I am on 2 different types of Morphine, doesn't help. I have had the x-rays and scans and was told there was nothing wrong. I have been given Steroid shots, they haven't helped either. I saw a Nuerlogist and was told that I do have severe nerve damage, but I have been offered no solutions. My quality of life had deteriorated significantly. The Zimmer Trilogy needs to be added to the defective list. I have contacted attorneys who have told me that Trilogy is not on their list. If anyone knows of any attorneys that will handle my case, please send me the information, because I don't think that anyone else should have to experience what I have and that Zimmer needs to be held accountable.

      Delete
  4. I received the same Zimmer trilogy hip replacement in 2008 and after 5 years my hip started dislocating. This painful procedure of going to ER to have it put back repeated itself 6 times. Each time the original doctor said I need to be more careful. Ieventually had a revision in 2013 and they discovered there was metal on metal with cromium and titaium in my blood. Besides being very painful I lost a number of my business accounts because I was not able to service them properly. Don`t tell me that there`s not a problem with this devise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Katheryn Willis I also had a hip replacement i 2010 and had and had to have a revision after several visits to my doctor telling him that my hip was popping and i was having to pop my hip back into place. Two years later he discovered the ball was out of the cup and underwent a second surgery which had to be cemented in place and and am in constant pain.
    Katheryn Willis

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had simmer hip put in 2008 after 5 years it started popping out, the doctor said to be more careful. 12 trips to emergency to put it back in and physical therapy had revision done by leading doctor in the west coast. It lasted 1 year and started popping out. More trips to emergency and two different orthopedic doctors Saint socket was put in at wrong angle, original and revision.Ican only pray that third procedure

    ReplyDelete
  7. That third procedure works. If not it will be total reconstruction

    ReplyDelete